7 top tips to resolving conflicts
Robert Still of Still HR, speaker at MDN’s workshop on conflict resolution and workplace mediation gives seven tips for dealing with conflict in the workplace.
Robert Still of Still HR, speaker at MDN’s workshop on conflict resolution and workplace mediation, offers seven tips for dealing with conflict in the workplace.
The greater the breakdown in workplace relationships, the more difficult they are to resolve;
As early intervention will increase the likelihood of resolving issues before reaching breaking point, you may want to consider hiring a qualified and experienced workplace mediator early on;
If you are involved in resolving a conflict between people:
- politely ignore the commissioner’s interpretation of events;
- show active listening with word-accurate summary;
- stay focused and shut off your inner voice;
- allow the parties to determine levels of confidentiality;
- never proffer your own solutions-allow participants to create and own them
- avoid implying agreement or judgement through overly enthusiastic head-nodding
- when unsure how to respond to a change in dynamic, feed back what you see presented in the situation with which you are engaged
Tips from Robert Still at Still HR